Sunday, December 5, 2010

Summerhill Market - A Rosedale gem, worth visiting!

The Summerhill Market is one of my favourite small grocery stores.  With it's unique offering it drives traffic to it's store at all hours every day of the week.  I think it's a great example of what is possible when you aren't distracted by what the latest research is telling you to do with your pricing, selection, merchandising and layout.

It is clear from the moment you enter the store that the owners are listening and trusting their business sense while using their imagination.  The owners are also cleverly keeping a  close connection with their very important shoppers.  Don't misunderstand me, I think shopper research is and can be very insightful; but the reality is that knowing your shopper and your market while applying your business knowledge beats any research, hands down.

Opened since 1954 and family managed, I absolutely LOVE shopping at the Summerhill Market.  I make any number of excuses to head over.  Thanks to the many unique products as well as fresh produce and meats, including excellent prepared foods, it isn't hard to find a reason.  Word of warning to the shoppers, this isn't the store to go to for a 'great deal'.  It's prices are well,  just plane expensive, and let's face it, anyone shopping at Summerhill Market isn't going there for a deal.  

Why shop at Summerhill Market?  It has excellent produce, meat and deli, a great selection of unique products, Montreal style bagels (my favourite), fun foodie gift ideas, fabulous entertaining tips, and has a great catering service.  Lastly, why shop at Summerhill Market?  It's fun to shop at.  Even when you are running in to pick up the catfood or milk, I am sure you will be inspired by their fabulous selection and perhaps get tempted to pick up a few more items (I know I do!).

I hope you have a chance to drop in when you are in  Toronto. I am sure you will enjoy the trip and will not leave empty handed!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment