Saturday, November 20, 2010

Will you be shopping on line this holiday season?

Shopping online is increasing.   49% are planning on shopping online this year versus only 42% last year.  Clearly this is a trend that is here to stay.   But given the convenience of online shopping, why is the planned increase only 7%?  Why not higher?
My thoughts? It can be ALOT better.  I know I'd shop online more if they made some of these improvements.

  • Make it faster and easier to move back and forth from the checkout to shopping
  • Improve the search capabilities
  • Show better pictures i.e show the product being used (versus white/plain backgrounds)
  • Identify "New" launches more clearly (this is particularly important with toys!)

What's stopping you from shopping more online?
I'd love to hear back.

5 comments:

  1. Not too big on the on-line shopping for the reasons you state above. It's a royal pain in the butt to get to the check-out on lots of site - kind of like the annoying sales clerk who follows you around, picking up pieces here and there, shoving them in your face and "enticing" you to buy.... This usually makes me turn around and LEAVE!!!

    On more than one occasion, I have "rung up" my purchases on line to simply abandon them there as I just can't get to the check out. So yes, most definitely, there is a need to improve the "how"!

    Great Blog Ms. Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, online can be a bit slow.

    So far I haven't done any online shopping for Christmas, we'll see if that continues!

    I think that if it improved a little I'd be a loyal shopper though, as it is really easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the number of holiday shoppers the same this year as a year ago? Could it be that 49% of a larger number when compared to 42% of a smaller number would actually mean the increase was larger than 7%. There is no explanation of the numbers, just a loose thread to sew your story with. Better research, better story. Also, 'new' is a featured area one would presume to be charging a premium to be listed under. It works but not in all business models.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point about the researchl I appreciate the challenge. Even with the fact that growth could be higher (if we look at absolute #'s) my thinking is that there is room for online sites to improve the shopping experience. It's still cluttered and cumbersome, and I'm anxious for somebody to change the landscape in a bigger and bolder way.

    Really just challenging everyone to think beyond what's out there today....

    If you know of any great sites, love to hear about them!

    ReplyDelete